What's New in iOS 18 Beta 6 and iOS 18.1 Beta 2

With just about a month until the official release of iOS 18 and iPadOS 18, the beta cycle is nearing its end. Today, Apple shifted the weekly beta update schedule by rolling out iOS 18 Beta 6 and iPadOS 18 Beta 6.

Here are the changes I’ve noticed so far. While there aren’t many new features, the updates are still worth noting as Apple focuses on polishing the software ahead of next month’s public release.

In case you missed it, here are the features included in iOS 18 Beta 5 →

What’s New in iOS 18 Beta 6

Bluetooth Control

iOS 18 Beta 6 and iOS 18.1 Beta 2 have added Bluetooth controls to the Control Center.

Photos

Apple has reversed the positions of the Select and Search buttons in Beta 6.

Additionally, the layout of the Albums section has been updated. Now, each album is displayed as a separate card, with the main thumbnail on the left. Previously, the album name was on the left along with a grid of thumbnails.

Note that this change only appears in iOS 18 Beta 6, not in iOS 18.1 Beta 2, even though they were released on the same day.

Phone

In Phone app’s Recents list, tapping on contact name calls the contact. In previous betas, there was a dedicated call button and tapping on contact name opened contact card.

Keyboard

iOS 18 Beta 6 will show you this :point_down: if it’s your first time using a bilingual keyboard.

Apple Music

The Apple Music app features a new welcome screen highlighting the latest features in iOS 18. Additionally, the Browser tab has now been renamed to New.

Icon Tints

Finally, icon tints can now link with the wallpaper in iOS 18 Beta 6.

https://x.com/BetaProfiles/status/1823082585968558432

Vehicle Motion Cues

Beta 6 also adds a new banner when the Vehicle Motion Cues feature is activated.

Thanks @stablestream for this spot

More Dark App Icons

Several third-party app icons now support Dark Mode after updating to iOS 18 Beta 6, including Microsoft Suite, Google Translate, Apple Store, and more.

Image credit u/tnetenbaa

Fixed Frequently Used Emoji Keyboard Bug

A persistent bug in iOS 18 Beta 4 and 5 has now been resolved in iOS 18 Beta 6. The frequently used emoji keyboard now correctly displays the emojis you actually use instead of showing ones you’ve never used.

Dark App Icons in Notification Center

App icons in the Notification Center are now linked with the icons on the Home Screen. Previously, they were not synced, so you would see a light icon in the Notification Center even if you were using a dark icon.

What’s New in iOS 18.1 Beta 2

iOS 18.1 Beta 2 essentially includes all the changes from iOS 18 Beta 6, except this update also adds Apple Intelligence for supported devices. Additionally, iOS 18.1 Beta 2 also includes the new features introduced in iOS 18 Beta 5, released last week, such as Distraction Control in Safari, updated icons in Control Center, and refinements in the Photos app.

You can view detailed about these changes here, and below are the changes in iOS 18.1 Beta 2 so far.

Type to Siri

Apple has finally added the “Type to Siri” option to the main Apple Intelligence & Siri menu in iOS 18.1 Beta 2.

Apple Intelligence in EU

There are some reports that iOS 18.1 Beta 2 allows certain EU countries to enable Apple Intelligence (the region must be set to the United States and the default language to English).

It seems this change is server-side, as some people in the EU are even able to enable Apple Intelligence on iOS 18.1 Beta 1 right now.

Of course, you’ll still need one of the devices that support Apple Intelligence.

Apple Intelligence Localization

Apple Intelligence currently only supports English, and in iOS 18.1 Beta 2, Apple has included new localized English versions for Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, South Africa, India, and Singapore, in addition to the previously available localizations for the U.S., U.K., and Australia.

Siri Animation

I noticed that the Siri animation in iOS 18.1 Beta 2 is also bouncier compared to Beta 1. You can watch the comparison video through the X link below.

https://x.com/BetaProfiles/status/1823717552696250867

Don’t forget follow @BetaProfiles on X to keep update.

That’s it! If you discover any other changes in iOS 18 Beta 6, or iPadOS 18 Beta 6, feel free to share with us by commenting below :point_down:

2 Likes

@jflechuga I heard that some people can enable Apple Intelligence in the EU right now. Can you confirm if it’s working in your country?

2 Likes

yes i can! just need to change the language, region and apple id to US

2 Likes

I don’t understand why Apple Intelligence can be used in the European Union on iOS 18.1 Beta2. Mainland China has become the only country that does not support it. I don’t understand.

2 Likes

My dear friend, I have a balance in the account and the AI is not activated, I have even put the VPN in the US and nothing, so I spend the balance or wait for it to arrive.

@betaprofiles I have confined practically all the options to be able to activate the AI including a VPN configuration in the US, and nothing, I think it is due to the balance I have in Apple Id, and I do not have the download option, it keeps sending the message “…that is not available in my country…”, it’s time to keep waiting. :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Apple likely needs to develop an AI that meets the approval of the Chinese government. I believe Apple might be collaborating with AI companies in China to integrate with Apple Intelligence, which could be causing the delay.

I hope that day isn’t too far off :clap:

Thank you very much @betaprofiles :+1:t2:

Hey there! I recently created a new Apple ID to test out the A.Intelligence feature on my iPhone. I conducted some tests and then logged back into my primary Apple ID (European). If you’re interested in trying it out, follow the same steps I did. I logged back into my main account because I have an Apple Music subscription, and I can’t access it unless it’s logged into my account.

(i made apple ia {on my mac} to rewrite the text, so it’s a test haha)

1 Like

Thank @laranjavoadora, and how was the experience, is it worth moving so many parameters to see the AI, does it come complete? (Within the limitations they announced). Tell me how it was!! :sunglasses: :+1:t2: