What’s New in iOS 18.1 Beta: Apple Intelligence is here!

The first iOS 18.1 Beta has now been released for developers and finally brings some long-awaited Apple Intelligence features for testing. Here’s what’s new in iOS 18.1 Beta that I’ve found so far.

Apple Intelligence Features

Please note that only the following devices are compatible with Apple Intelligence:

• iPhone 15 Pro and iPhone 15 Pro Max (A17 Pro)
  • iPad Pro M1 and later
  • iPad Air M1 and later

Apple Intelligence is released as a waitlist feature, so after updating your compatible device to iOS 18.1 Beta or iPadOS 18.1 Beta, go to Settings - Apple Intelligence & Siri, and then select ‘Join the Apple Intelligence Waitlist.’ You will receive a notification as soon as Apple Intelligence becomes available on your device.

:warning: For those living outside the United States (but not in the EU or China), you need to change your iPhone or iPad language to English and set the region to the United States by going to Settings - General - Language & Region. Here, you can set English as the primary language and the region to the United States.

Then, check again in Settings - Apple Intelligence & Siri, and restart your device if necessary.

New Siri UI

iOS 18.1 Beta has introduced an entirely new user interface for Siri. When activating Siri by holding the Side button or using the voice command, you’ll see an elegant light effect around the edges of the screen.

You can also double-tap the bottom of the iPhone or iPad screen to type a command for Siri from anywhere in the system when you don’t want to speak aloud.

Here’s the new Siri UI in action:
https://x.com/BetaProfiles/status/1817983669086339424

The new Siri UI also appears when you call Siri from CarPlay.

Image credit u/Vortex6360

Writing Tools

Writing Tools are available system-wide, including in third-party apps, and they help you rewrite, proofread, and summarize text. Simply select a text area and tap the Writing Tools option from the menu that appears. You’ll see options like Proofread or Rewrite with different versions, such as Friendly, Professional, or Concise.

You can also summarize the content into a Summary or Key Points. This feature also works with lists and tables.

Mail Summary and Smart Reply

Thanks to Apple Intelligence, the Mail app has been enhanced with the ability to summarize emails and offer Smart Reply.

Smart Reply scans email content and offers contextual response options. Just choose one, and it will generate a quick reply for you.

Additionally, important emails are also moved to the top of your inbox, so you see them first.

Image credit u/Gradly

Call Recording

With Apple Intelligence, Apple is allowing call recording on the iPhone for the first time.

During a call, tap the recording button in the upper left corner to start recording the call. Both the caller and the receiver will be notified of the recording to ensure privacy. After the call ends, you can view and listen to it in the Notes app, see the full transcript, and get a summary without replaying the entire call.

Focus Mode

iOS 18.1 Beta adds a new Focus mode called Reduce Interruptions, using on-device AI to automatically analyze notification content and only interrupt you with important notifications.

Additionally, when customizing your existing Focus mode, there’s a new option called Intelligent Breakthrough & Silencing. It essentially allows important notifications to interrupt you while silencing unimportant ones. You can select apps or people to override this setting.

Safari Summerize

When viewing an article in Reader Mode in Safari, there’s a new Summarize button that uses Apple Intelligence to summarize the article’s content for you.

Photos

The Photos app now has the ability to create Memory Movies using your descriptions. Just enter a description, and Apple Intelligence will automatically select the most fitting photos and videos. It will then create a movie based on what’s in your Photos app. You can add specific scenes and images you want or change the music.

The ability to search for photos and videos in the Photos app has also been improved with Apple Intelligence. You can now use natural language queries, like “My cat playing in the backyard,” or select smart suggestions to narrow down what you’re looking for.

Apple Intelligence Report

There is a new Apple Intelligence Report option in Settings - Privacy & Security to export your Apple Intelligence data as a JSON file. For security, you’ll need Face ID to access this menu.

You can choose the Report Duration to be 15 minutes, 7 days, or turn it off.

Apple Intelligence Features Yet to Appear

As of now, iOS 18.1 Beta 1 is still missing features related to Apple Intelligence, such as:

• Image Playground: An app for creating images using Apple Intelligence.
  • Genmoji: Create custom emojis using Apple Intelligence.
  • Image Wand: Transform your rough sketches into related images within the Notes app.
  • Clean Up: Remove unwanted objects from photos.
  • Priority Notifications: Important notifications appear at the top of the notification stack so you can get to the most critical ones first.
  • ChatGPT: Integration of ChatGPT with the new Siri.

However, I believe Apple will soon add these features in the upcoming iOS 18.1 Beta updates in the coming weeks.

Other Features and Changes in iOS 18.1 Beta

Emoji Keyboard

Emoji Keyboard in iOS 18.1 Beta is Bigger… Once Again!
Perhaps Apple wants to create more space for Genmoji, a new feature coming soon with Apple Intelligence that lets you create custom emojis and use them everywhere.

Feedback Apple Intelligence

The Feedback app in iOS 18.1, iPadOS 18.1, and macOS 15.1 Beta has a new “Rate Your Experiences” feature, allowing users to rate the generative content served by Apple Intelligence across apps.

Users can provide feedback on the quality of generated content, including issues like hard-to-understand summaries or inappropriate suggestions. Users can earn points by providing feedback, although the purpose of these points is not yet clear.

If you discover any new features in iOS 18.1 Beta or iPadOS 18.1 Beta, please share them with us below :point_down:

1 Like

i’m in the EU and unfortunately i’m out of this huge update… thanks european union…….

2 Likes

Does the Appstore Country fix work for this? I hope so because I’m not about to miss out on this just because the Eu decided that nuh uh

It seems there are mixed reports here—some people say changing to a US Apple ID helps them access Apple Intelligence, while others do not. You might want to try it and see if it works.

2 Likes

hi, i managed to work on my mac m1! just change your timezone to NY, your region to US and your computer to english from the USA. then, restart your mac and it will work (at least worked for me). hope it helps!!

edit:
didn’t need to change to US account

2 Likes

Can I set the Language and Region back to the original settings after enabling Apple Intelligence?

If you do this, you will lose access to Apple Intelligence.

1 Like

It seems to only work on Mac. What about your iPhone? Apple Intelligence is activated based on your account rather than the device, so do you have access to Apple Intelligence on your iPhone?

2 Likes

Will iPhone 15 and 15 plus will get call recording. ?

No, unfortunatelly i don’t. I tried a lot but nothing seems to work.

2 Likes

No, it’s part of Apple Intelligence.

1 Like

As always excellent summary of IOS 18.1, but I’m still crying @betaprofiles being in the EU, I don’t get the AI :sob: :sob: :sob: :sob:

I understand how you feel; it’s frustrating not to have access to AI features when your device supports them :sleepy:

Even the latest iPhone 15 can’t access the AI features.

1 Like

It makes me feel sad, that some people decide for me and for many like me what a company has to do, when we choose Apple we choose it knowingly, its bonanzas and its cons, but they don’t have to regulate anything (in this case the EU), so I will keep crying until I can have all the specifications that are coming out and I stick to the calendar that Apple marks, so… :sob: :sob: :sob: :sob: :sob: :sob: :sob: :sob:

1 Like

I’m in mainland China. My device is the Chinese version. I tried to modify these settings, but I still can’t access Apple intelligence.Can I modify some support through Mac or Windows in the future?

Apple says that it’s currently unavailable in the EU and China.

1 Like

At present, mainland China is cooperating with Baidu, but it may not work with ChatGPT as AI.

That’s right, I’ve heard that Apple plans to partner with Chinese AI companies to integrate with Apple Intelligence.

1 Like

Hello @Raysry what he has told you and the article that @betaprofiles sends you is correct, Apple is in talks with Chinese companies so that they can implement Apple’s AI. So cheer up, I’m sure it will come to you sooner than to me who lives in the EU. :sunglasses: :+1:t2:

1 Like

I have tried, and as I have a balance in the account it does not let me change region, the first reason is to have a balance and I think that the second although it is not specified is the currency US $, EU €, so it does not allow the currency change. but I will be attentive to the thread to see if it can be changed.

1 Like