How to Enable New Siri UI (Apple Intelligence UI) on iPhone and Mac [U: Apple fixed it in Beta 2]

Updated on September 20, 2024: How to Enable Apple Intelligence (New Siri UI) on All Devices [Tested on iOS 18.1 Beta 4 →]

If you have an iPhone 15 Pro, iPhone 15 Pro Max, or an iPad/Mac with an M1 chip or newer, you can enable Apple Intelligence and the New Siri UI by updating to iOS 18.1 Beta, iPadOS 18.1 Beta, or macOS 15.1 Beta or later.

Updated on June 24, 2024: Apple has fixed it in iOS 18 Beta 2, so after updating, you will see the old Siri instead and the method below will not apply when you are running iOS 18 Beta 2.

You’ve probably seen posts sharing about the new Siri UI in iOS 18 on X, Threads, etc., but iOS 18 Developer Beta 1 currently hasn’t added any new features related to Siri.

Good news! You can experience the new Siri user interface early with a few tips below.

:warning: To clarify, this only activates the new Siri user interface; features related to Apple Intelligence will not work at this time.

The new Siri UI works with all iPhones and iPads running iOS 18/iPadOS 18 Developer Beta 1. However, only devices with M1 or A17 Pro chips and above will utilize Apple Intelligence features when they are released.

While you can apply the same to the iPad, I do not recommend doing so as it is not yet optimized for the iPad. In addition, some users report the same issue with the iPhone mini, so do not try it on these devices.

Before You Begin

• You should back up your device using iTunes or Finder before performing any of the steps below. Your data is invaluable, and I will not be responsible if you do not back up your device.
  • Temporarily turn off Find My iPhone/iPad in Settings [your Apple ID] - Find My - Find My iPhone or iPad.
  • You will need a Mac or Windows PC.

Enable New Siri UI on iPhone

For Mac

1. Download and install Cowabunga Lite for Mac (you can easily find it on Google).

2. Connect your device via USB cable.

3. Open Cowabunga Lite and click on the Custom Operation tab in the left column.

4. Click the Import .cowperation button, select the iOS_18_Siri.cowperation file (download here).

5. Click on the Edit button, ensure that the Enable option is checked.

6. Back to Cowabunga Lite, click on the Apply tab in the left column, then click the Apply Tweaks button.

This process may take a while. Your device will restart, and you will see the Setup screen.

:warning: If you see a screen that says “iPhone Partially Set Up”, DO NOT tap the big blue button. You must tap on “Continue with Partial Setup” and your data will be fine.

For Windows

1. Download and install Cowabunga Lite for Windows (you can easily find it on Google).
  2. Connect your device via USB cable.
  3. Open Cowabunga Lite and ensure the SkipSetup option is selected in the Setup Options tab.
  4. In File Explorer, go to %APPDATA%/CowabungaLite/Workspace (or paste the path into the Run app), find your UUID, then go to SkipSetup/ManagedPreferencesDomain/mobile.
  5. Add the plist file (download here) to that folder.
  6. Back to Cowabunga Lite, click on the Apply tab in the left column, then click the Apply Tweaks button.

This process may take a while. Your device will restart, and you will see the Setup screen.

:warning: If you see a screen that says “iPhone Partially Set Up”, DO NOT tap the big blue button. You must tap on “Continue with Partial Setup” and your data will be fine.

Special thanks to @LeminLimez, who created the Cowabunga Lite tool and discovered this trick.

Remove New Siri UI on iPhone

To remove the new Siri UI and bring back the old Siri UI, simply follow the same steps as above, but use these files below instead.

Enable New Siri UI on Mac with macOS Sequoia Beta 1

1. Open Terminal.

2. Enter the following commands one by one, pressing return after each one.
    defaults write com.apple.assistant bypassDeviceSupportsSAE -bool true
    and
    killall Siri

3. Reboot your Mac after to see the new Siri icon in your menu bar.

How to Remove New Siri UI on Mac

To revert to the old Siri, please follow these steps:

1. Open Terminal.
  2. Enter the following commands one by one, pressing return after each one.
    defaults write com.apple.assistant bypassDeviceSupportsSAE -bool false
    and
    killall Siri
  3. Reboot your Mac.

Special thanks to @aaronp613 for this great tip.

2 Likes

this broke reachability for me somehow. restarted already, turned the option off and on again. it’s broken

2 Likes

Mine is still working fine. What device do you have? Mine is a 15 Pro Max.

mine works on the Home Screen after a restart but barely works on apps for some reason. I use it a lot but it’s really hard to get it working now. (iPhone 15 pro)

how about iPadOS?mine is M1 Chip

1 Like

Strange :thinking: mine works fine in all apps. Perhaps Apple still needs to optimize some things, which is why they haven’t released it in iOS 18 Beta 1 yet.

Basically, you can do the same thing you did with the iPhone.

2 Likes

tried doing the new siri on my M1 mac mini (macOS 15 dev beta 1) and the new siri icon appears in the menu bar but when i click on it all it does is use my location (i can see from control centre). nothing else happens

Is there a particular reason Find My needs to be disabled?

1 Like

yea, cowabunga cant restore otherwise, you can reenable it afterwards

How can I enable the text bar to show up?

Where’s the setup for IPhone 15 pro max is it the same setup as it is on Mac I’m trying to do it from strictly my IPhone all I got is type to siri thing but I don’t have the New Siri UI is there a easier way to enable it without using cowabunga??

If i do this using the tutorial can you please tell me if i can i get back my old siri if it bugs (or i just don’t like it) and how to do it?

btw if u have a ipad pro 12.9/13in it will look weird, as if it is made for the smaller versions

Double-tap the Home bar or enable the Type to Siri feature in Settings - Accessibility - Siri.

Just restore the previous backup.

2 Likes

Cowabunga isn’t detecting my device.

You can try switching to a different cable and click the Refresh button here.

refresh button

1 Like

If I do this tweak, will my phone act as it’s restored? Will I be logged out of my apps? Additionally, will I still be able to update through Software Update as normal for the next dev beta?

Your iPhone will display the Setup screen, but please read the note below carefully; your data and apps will not be affected.

“If you see a screen that says “iPhone Partially Set Up”, DO NOT tap the big blue button . You must tap on “Continue with Partial Setup” and your data will be fine.”

We might have to wait until next week when Apple releases iOS 18 beta 2 to find out, but I think you can still update the software normally in Software Update.

1 Like

How to decrease the announcement notification volume, it’s too loud

1 Like

I’m not seeing this on my iPhone. It seems to be related to the Sensitive features; try turning them off and see if that helps.

Update: I remember seeing this the first time I called the new Siri, and it disappeared since then.

1 Like